Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Proposal

This blog is kinda like my public journal.  I have just realized that I never documented "the proposal".  I would hate to forget that day so before things get lost in time here is the story of the proposal.  
It was March 2011.  Spring break was here and I was looking forward to visiting my sister and her husband in Fresno for a few days and then I was going to venture south to Camp Pendleton and spend a day or two with Jordan.  
At this time Jordan was in S.O.I. (School of Infantry)  We only got to talk on weekends so this whole thing was kind of sketchy.  There was never a 100% chance that they were going to get libo on weekends (it wasn't uncommon for someone to get in trouble and screw it up for everyone else).  Anyway, we already knew that we were going to get married that summer, but we had so few opportunities to see each other between then and summer everyone was telling me that I would come back engaged.  For some reason I just really wasn't expecting it.  Jordan had told me he went ring shopping and just didn't have enough money.  Which wasn't hard to believe since he was still a student in the Marine Corps. 
I remember Jordan was able to talk to me during the week somehow and he was telling me that they were going to have restricted libo for the weekend.  I was so stressed out thinking about what would happen if we had to spend the weekend on base.  Everything ended up working out and he was able to have unrestricted libo.  Friday night we just hung out and ate some Cafe Rio (that is one of our favorite past times).  Saturday was our only full day together.  I had to drive back to Utah Sunday.  So I kept thinking to myself that if it was going to happen then today was the day.  Saturday we woke up and went to the San Diego Temple.  It was special it was the first time that we had done that together.  I remember being in the temple and looking at him and thinking to myself how excited I am to spend forever with that kid.  I was for sure that if it was going to happen then he would do it there since we had thought that that is where we would be married.  It wasn't even mentioned there after we walked around for a bit.
After we did baptisms
 After the temple we decided to go to Sea World.  I hadn't been there since I was a tiny tot and I love ocean animals so of course I was thrilled to be there.  Jordan and I were walking through the Shark exhibit.  He LOVES sharks.  As we were walking through the tunnel he started acting weird and had his hands in his pocket.  I thought to myself "oh no if your going to do it please don't do it in the shark tunnel."  I'm fully aware that is not very nice to think but it was the truth.  Luckily, he was just pulling me aside to look at a wall a shark teeth. Phew!
Sea World. Thank goodness he didn't propose in the shark tunnel. Phew!
Sea World was fun but it was time for dinner.  He surprised me and took me to The Melting Pot.  YUM! We had both never been there before but seriously my taste buds were in heaven.  Dinner wasn't finished until 11:00.  My hopes of going back to Cedar City engaged were over.  I was so tired and ready to go to bed but Jordan insisted that we go to the beach.  I caught onto his plan so I played along.  The car ride to La Jolla was kinda weird.  I just knew it was coming.  We took a blanket down to the beach and just talked for a bit.  It was  freezing by the way.  Jordan told me to stand up, but I was content sitting wrapped in the blanket.  I asked him why and his response was because he wanted to play a game. HAHAHA a game?  I was being stubborn about it but gave in.  By the time I stood up the kid was on his knee with a box and asked, "Kiersten will you marry me?"  I just freaked out and said yes.  I tackled him to the ground and gave him a hug and a kiss.  Five minutes after the shock had worn away Jordan was like do you want to see your ring? Haha I was so excited I forgot to even look at the ring.  He pulled it back out and I remember thinking it looked really familiar.  He asked me if that is the right one.  I was so confused how he knew.  He then proceeded to tell me about how he knew which ring I had my eyes on and how I actually brought the ring to him.  Jordan has a few tricks up his sleeve.  I had showed my sister some rings that I liked and Jordan secretly contacted her and got the info on her favorite one.  Luckily, it happened to be my favorite too.  He had is dad pick it up.  Before I left to California his parents had a "package" that they needed me to take to Jordan.  I was just some clothes that he wanted and some new garments.  His dad kept telling me to be very careful with this package and to not leave it in the car because it has garments in it and they are very special.  I just remember thinking ok Dave I'm not a dummy I know they are special.  His parents ended up packing in the ring along with his clothes.  What a very clever husband I have.
We tend to be very photogenic couple.
 I can still remember those feelings of excitement.  I remember thinking how weird it was that something that we talked about in high school was actually happening.  I remember calling each other fiancé for the first time and thinking how weird it was.  Ah it really was such a great day! I couldn't have though of anything else that I would have wanted to happen.  I felt like I was in a movie. Isn't that how every girl wants to feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment