Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad

From time time I was a baby until he passed away we spent every day after school  like this talking.

Today is my dad's birthday.  I couldn't help but think of him all day.  When I think about my dad I just smile.  He was always really good at making me feel special.  Despite the struggles he had I always knew that he loved me.  He was always at my softball games.  When he didn't have a license he would ride his crappy mountain to my games.  He would make sure that I could hear him cheering for me.  
Everyday after school first thing I would do is go up to his room and talk about school.  He always seemed interested in my day.  In our after school chats I learned some life lessons from my pa.  He taught me to never trust a skinny cook.  He also taught me all about boys.... beware this next thing I am about to share is a little graphic but this is just how my dad was.  I think when I was in 8th grade and I was telling him about cute boys or something  he told me and I quote "just remember, boys think with their wrong head." blahahaha I never have forgotten that lesson. Haha who tells their 13 year old daughter that? 
 He had such a great laugh everyone loved to be around him.  Anywhere we would go he would make new friends. He would always make funny deals with us.  I remember on our last shopping trip together I really wanted these jeans but I didn't have enough money.  He told me if i bought him a coffee then he would get them for me.  It was a very logical trade.  Another one of my favorite deals he tried making... he was unsuccessful at closing it.  He told me he would take me to McDonald's if I bought him a Big Mac.  I asked him why would I do that I hate McDonalds.  He said he just testing me.  Another one of his favorite things to say to see if we were paying attention.  
He was so talented at everything he did.  He was a great hunter, he was an amazing artist, he sucked at cooking but was good at grilling, he was a great gardner and loved birds, he loved books, he had a great understanding of the scriptures, and more than anything he loved his kids.  I don't doubt that for one moment.  I know that one day I will see him again and I can't wait to be back in his arms.  I love my dad and I am grateful for the man that he was and the wonderful example of love he was to me.

 Daddy Daughter Date

No comments:

Post a Comment